Friday, November 28, 2008

Friday Proverb - the fridge man

Recently Andrew and I purchased a new fridge in anticipation of our soon to be expanded family. His old "bachelor fridge" that he brought into our marriage was barely big enough for the two of us, and required creative stacking when we entertained, so we concluded that it was time to upsize.

As sometimes happens with new appliances, our new fridge wasn't everything we hoped it would be - the vegies kept on freezing. Bad news for us and our furry friends in the backyard. So we rang the manufacturer, and the fridge man came to take care of things for us.

Although the fridge man eventually proved to be an able mechanic, he did not score highly in the emotional intelligence department. He didn't really communicate well, disappeared mysteriously for a while (though when he returned he smelled strongly of cigarette smoke), and was quite rude and arrogant in his manner.

Now here is where we turn to what I should have done in response, which contrasts somewhat with what I actually did. Proverbs 12:16 says:

Fools show their annoyance at once, but the prudent overlook an insult.

Given the fridge man's obvious competence in the matter of repairing fridges, I should have just left him to it. Andrew, who is a more even tempered individual than me, was at home and was happy to deal with him.

However, I stayed, showed my annoyance, argued with the fridge man and then stormed out into the backyard. Those who know me personally may think this out of character, although one or two who know me very closely may not be surprised at all.

There are moments in life when it is much better to overlook insulting behaviour, especially for the sake of the gospel. When the fridge man came into our house, he would have seen a large cross over the doorway that goes into our kitchen, a pile of Bibles on the coffee table, and numerous missionary prayer cards on our fridge. How much better would it have been had he also seen an example of Christian patience and love at work.

Hopefully I will do better the next time something like that happens. Thankfully, God's grace to me in Christ is more than big enough to deal with my ungracious behaviour.

No comments: