Monday, July 7, 2008

What would you do?

A few weeks ago I was leaving the local shopping centre, with a nice hot take-away meal in a bag in my hand, when a woman with a pram approached me. She'd run out of money, she told me, wasn't getting paid until the next day, and needed infant formula. Could I give her some money so she could buy it?

I wasn't totally convinced, but I wasn't totally unconvinced either. She looked reasonably healthy- she didn't seem to have a drug problem. Then again, how would I really know?

I knew that the best thing to do would be to walk down to the supermarket with her and buy the infant formula, but my dinner was hot, I was tired, and just wanted a good sit down on the couch at home. So I just gave her the money and said "I'm trusting you to spend it on formula".

Afterwards it occurred to me that perhaps I should have looked in the pram for the baby - it had been well covered. I was pretty sure that I'd been duped.

Jesus tells us to give to those who ask for money (Matt 5:42), but I assume that he wouldn't be wanting us to encourage another person's dishonesty or drug habit. Any thoughts about how to handle these kinds of situations? What would you have done?

No comments: