Friday, May 23, 2008

contentment = being happy with what you've got?

A number of posts ago I observed that our bunnies think that the food in the other bunny's mouth is much more delicious than the food in their dish. However, this betrays a bunny-misunderstanding. The food in the dish is actually of the same quality as the food in their friend's mouth. Indeed it may even be of higher quality, given that it isn't already part-chewed and covered in saliva.

There's a lot we can learn from this analogy. Often we are so focussed on what others have, that we fail to see the good stuff that we've already got. When I pray in an organised and focussed way, I always start with thanks points for this very reason - so that I remember the good things that I have, and thank the Giver.

However, there is one problem with the "be thankful for what you already have" philosophy. Sometimes the food in the other bunny's mouth is actually more delicious. There are plenty of Australians with more money in their bank account than me (though on a global scale my family is rich rich rich). There are plenty of people who own more nice stuff and live in fancier houses.

What does God say about this?

Well the Bible does locate the secret in contentment in being happy with what you've got, but not in the way that we might automatically think. The apostle Paul actually divorces contentment from the amount of material stuff that he has:

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength. (Phil 4:12-13)

The writer to the Hebrews connects contentment with the relationship that Christians have with their all-powerful, loving heavenly Father:

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

So we say with confidence,
“The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can human beings do to me?”
(Heb 13:5-6)

In the end, our material possessions only get us so far. They may sometimes protect us from ill-health, boredom, social shame and even death, but they don't always deliver. When we have God, the maker of the universe, on our side what do we have to fear? He is able to provide us with everything that we need in Christ, both now and forever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's a really important distinction you make about contentment not being measured in amounts of welath.
I'd like to add that if we do interpret contentment as being to do with satisfaction with our level of wealth, we shouldn't forget that we in the West largely determine where we raise the bar to. By that I mean, often we have many choices over how much we actually have/keep, how much work we do, whether Mum works also. So I then run the risk of saying 'Yes, I am content' with this standard of living I have set for myseld without recognising the choices that have been made and indeed, the fallout from those choices on the amount of time and energy we have left for priority relationships within God's house hold and our own families.

Does this make any sense?

Cathy

Pilgrim Penguin said...

You're right, we need to be careful that we don't make excuses for ourselves under the guise of being content. Also, there is a phenomenal responsibility that comes with the kinds of choices and privileges we have as westerners.

When the Bible talks about contentment, it is training us not to chase after the kinds of things that will lead to us sinning:

1Tim 6:9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.